Pilates is an effective body condition program that is available at our Worcester facility. Pilates at Greendale Physical Therapy, LLC is used as an adjunct to typical physical therapy treatment, and enhances the outcomes of various conditions—low back pain, hip conditions, knee conditions, and chronic pain.
Pilates instruction is also available for self-pay clients. Instruction is available for individuals who wish to enhance their performance and current level of fitness with the STOTT™ Pilates method.
What is Pilates?
STOTT™ Pilates is a unique approach to the original Pilates method, and is composed of hundreds of therapeutic exercises that restore ideal postural and spinal alignment. It is also effective for rebalancing muscles around the joints.
Programs are modified to consider a client’s specific abilities and to address the goals set forth by their rehabilitation professional.
The Five Basic Principals of Pilates
Pilates includes basic principles that are emphasized throughout every exercise:
- Activation of the core muscles—transverse abdominis, pelvic floor, and multifidus—through diaphragmatic breathing to enhance lumbo-pelvic stability.
- Pelvic placement to encourage the most shock-absorbing position for the lumbar spine.
- Rib cage placement to allow proper activation of the abdominal wall and all spinal motions.
- Scalpular movement and stabilization.
- Head and cervical placement.